Interested in finding the best shocks for jeep wrangler tj? This vehicle gives you the freedom to explore areas that are not accessible to most vehicles.
You can feel safe and free at the same time while exploring paths that are not car-friendly. But, when it comes to safety and comfort, the shocks of the vehicle, you are driving count the most.
A Jeep Wrangler TJ can take you in places you only dreamt about, although this may mean upgrading the existing shocks or replacing them with a sturdier product.
In the list that follows, you will find a selection of best shocks for Jeep Wrangler TJ, with characteristics, pros and cons, and other details that will help you make an informed choice.
Top Rated Shocks For Jeep TJ
10 Best Shocks For Jeep Wrangler TJ Review & Buying Guide For The Money
01. Bilstein 5100 Series 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
If you’re looking to enjoy a smooth ride, these shocks from Bilstein can make your dream come true.
Regardless of the type of terrain you want to experience, you’ll feel comfortable inside your car, and you’ll be able to enjoy an amazing driving experience in the outdoors.
Made to last, these shocks will work just as well in a couple of years as they do today. Investing in these shocks can be a great deal if you don’t always stick to the trail.
They will give you the chance to explore as desired, without worrying that you put too much strain on your vehicle. Setting them on your Jeep won’t be challenging, either.
The package contains everything you need to do the job right. Even the bar pins are made in such a way, so you’ll know which go to the front and which to the back.
- Ideal for cars with facelift ranging between 3.5-4”
- The package includes shock boots
- Equipped with monotube gas that will ensure prolonged usage
- All the accessories needed for mounting arrive in the package
- Easy setup due to the bar pins that accompany the shocks
- Even if the description says 3.5 to 4”, these shocks should work fine on a front of 4” and rear of 4-6”
- Quality shocks that will help them run for years without problems
- The product is accompanied by a Bilstein warranty certificate
- No possibility to adjust these shocks
02. Rancho RS5000X Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006
Outdoor adventures will feel much better in your Jeep with these gas shocks on. Made to suit the 2WD and 4WD vehicles, the shocks will keep your car on the road, no matter how bumpy It turns out to be.
The manufacturer claims that this model is better and more reliable than previous versions, due to the improvements that were added.
The compression phase of the product is an advanced version, and the rebound valving system is a patented feature.
Due to these two, your Jeep will be easier to handle when off-road and you’ll enjoy a much better driving experience.
Also, there’s an early release of fluid into the shocks, so that bumps are buffered effectively before they happen.
So, for the driver and passengers, the entire adventure will become much more comfortable.
Also, the fluid inside the shocks can withstand any weather, not creating any issues regardless of the season outside.
- Twin-tube gas-pressurized shocks
- The gas pressurization slightly boosts spring rate
- The body of each shock is more extensive and filled with all-weather fluid
- Early flow of fluid within the shocks will keep the ride from feeling bumpy
- The package contains everything needed to install the shocks right away
- Accessible yet reliable in terms of quality
- Easy to install
- Advanced systems for increased comfort
- Improved performance of the vehicle, without any stiffness
- Work just as well off-road as on-road
- May not work for all types of heavy-duty vehicles, like trucks for example
03. Rough Country 8731730 Jeep Wrangler TJ Shocks For 1987-2006
Driving on bumpy terrain can be exciting and adventurous, but it also brings more wear and tear to your vehicle’s joints, tires, and other parts of the steering mechanism.
Installing reliable shocks on your car won’t just increase your level of comfort when driving, but will also protect the joints of your vehicle.
These shocks will effectively absorb shocks and will reduce the level of vibrations when on the road.
Due to an enlarged cylinder and rods hardened with the help of chrome, these shocks will do their job right.
You need to pay attention when ordering them, as you will have to specially order four for the entire car. These shocks don’t come as a package because they are shipped individually unless you specifically require so.
- The steering components will be protected by an improve driving on bumpy roads
- The joints of the car will ensure less wear and tear with these shocks installed
- The cylinder has an enlarged body for increased effectiveness
- The piston rod is hardened by chrome
- It can be installed at home without the help of mechanics
- Offers a reasonable degree of quality for its price tag
- Installation is easy and convenient
- Works for a wide range of Jeep models
- There is only one item shipped per package, so attention is required when ordering this product
- Won’t stop a Jeeps’ wobble, as that is a mechanical problem and not an issue related to driving on bumpy roads
04. SENSEN 6051 Shocks Fits on 1997-2006
While these shocks are rather affordable, they are capable of delivering the right level of quality and reliability.
If you don’t go out on a bumpy road that often and you don’t want to invest a small fortune on a set of shocks for your Jeep, this product may be the ideal solution for you.
They will not put a strain on your budget while allowing you to enjoy a higher degree of stability when you’re driving your Jeep.
And you can expect them to last for a first while, as each shock is tested according to the highest OE standards before being released on the market.
The only downside is that these shocks come together with struts only. You will need to purchase the rest of the accessories required for their setup.
- Quality shocks, they will elevate a Jeep to its initial factory height
- They are made to fit and work according to the highest standards
- Will work great for Jeep TJ and Wrangler ranging between 1997 and 2006
- Easy installation, as the car doesn’t require lifting to set the shocks in place
- Among the most affordable shocks on the market
- Deliver a right level of quality for the buck
- They fit in quickly, and a minimum amount of effort is required for their setup
- Charged with nitrogen gas, the vehicle will be lifted to its original height
- The package does not contain all the accessories needed to mount and fix the shocks on the car. Those will have to be purchased separately
- The shocks are made for specific Jeep models only
05. Rough Country Shocks For 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
If you want a Jeep Wrangler that drives easier, is more comfortable, and has a more aggressive look, then you may be interested in this particular product.
With these shocks and coils installed in your car, you’ll also be able to fit larger wheels and tires.
Thus, you can improve your driving experience in several ways. The shocks will absorb the bumps and wobbles caused by off-road driving, while larger tires and wheels will ensure better stability of the vehicle.
Not many shocks come accompanied by coil springs, so this is a kit worthy of consideration. It may cost slightly more, but at least you’ll give your car a much-improved suspension while on the road.
- A combo made out of shocks and coil springs
- The shocks will absorb all the bumps and humps of off-road driving for a better experience
- They can be installed at home with ease
- Premium shock absorbers that restore the ride quality to factory standards
- Lifetime replacement warranty provided by the manufacturer
- They allow the installation of larger wheels and tires on your Jeep
- The shocks will enhance the appearance and functionality of your off-road vehicle
- Equipped with N3 shocks, the car will effectively absorb all shocks
- Pistons hardened with chrome
- The fluid contained by the shocks is of military-grade, resilient up to -40 degrees Celsius
- The shocks don’t come with break line brackets, so they will have to be purchased separately
- Not all parts of the shocks have a lifetime warranty, so it is worth reading the manufacturer’s conditions when it comes to warranty
06. Rancho RS5000 Shocks For 1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Quite affordable and easy to install, these shocks are rather popular among Jeep Wrangler owners. They work for 2.5-4” lift vehicles and turn bumpy driving experiences into more pleasant adventures.
With these shocks installed, your car will become easier to handle, regardless of the terrain. You’ll be able to enjoy the adventures you want without being worried about wobbling or enduring too many bumps.
Even if you don’t want to drive off-road, these shocks are high if you’re going to lift the height of your jeep.
While Rancho has been designing and manufacturing shocks for decades already, this product enjoys a newer and better design, for improved performances. So, you can be sure that you’ll get a new product that respects the latest standards.
- This set of shocks is made to suit 4WD Jeep Wrangler models
- Easy installation due to a complete collection of accessories found in the package
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty for the product
- Besides Jeep Wrangler, this set of socks is suitable for certain SUVs and light trucks as well
- New and improved design
- Shocks made to last at a somewhat accessible price tag
- It lifts the car and offers effective shock management while on the road
- Protective sleeves are provided in the package
- Even if the shocks are marketed as being suitable for other types of vehicles, it is worth checking before making a purchase
07. Rubicon Express SK010702RXJ Shocks
If you want to make sure you’re investing in high-quality shocks for your Jeep, these shocks from Rubicon can be an option to consider.
Whether you’re looking to replace a broken shock or wishing to upgrade the suspension of your car, this kit will help you get there with minimum effect.
However, there is one part that may require a bit more effort from your side. These shocks were made to resist for a very long time, so compressing them by hand could be a challenge.
They are sturdy, as they were made to absorb shocks effectively, so trying to compress them by hand may not turn out to be as successful, according to some of the people who bought this product.
And this is not a negative aspect, as it means that the shocks are reliable and capable of withstanding a high number of bumps and off-road terrain.
- More than a decade of experience is encompassed in these shocks
- At the same level of quality as the Bilstein Jeep shocks
- The vehicle’s suspension is much improved with this great-quality product
- Best quality materials and innovative techniques are used for their manufacturing
- Easy setup in your garage
- Won’t require specialized knowledge for their setup
- High-quality shocks that will resist extended wear and tear
- Specially made to fit Jeep Wrangler TJ and LJ
- They can’t be compressed by hand upon installation so that you will need a particular device for this part
08. Teraflex TJ Wrangler Shocks Rear & Front
The best way to make sure that the parts you are about to purchase will fit your car is to buy parts that are specially made for your car make. And this kit from Teraflex as indeed made for Jeep.
With a length and bar pins that fit a Jeep, you can be sure that once installed; these shocks will stay in place no matter what.
Covered by a triple layer of chrome, the rods are resilient and will take extended wear and tear.
No matter when and how you choose to drive your Jeep, it will perform as expected. Even the finish of these shocks was made to stay.
These shocks don’t just have a beautiful design, but a finish that will keep them safe regardless of conditions.
- Made especially for Jeep, these shocks will increase the performances of this car
- The bushings feature rubber of the highest quality, for increased durability
- The bar pins are made to suit the Jeep so that they won’t fit other types of vehicles
- The finish of the shocks is resilient as well, keeping the shocks in great shape around the clock
- A triple layer of the chrome covers the rods
- The twin-tube design will ensure a smooth and effective operation
- Great features and quality for the price tag
- Easy to install as they are made to fit Jeep vehicles
- Resilient design and finishes for extended use
- Won’t fit other vehicles than Jeep
- Low temperatures could represent an issue
09. Rubicon Express SK010734RXT For Jeep TJ
Without a doubt, this shocks kit has one of the best quality-price ratios. For the money you are going to spend on them, the product will do its job right. First of all, the installation is straightforward and fast.
You can do it in your garage without asking for the help of a mechanic. Just be careful to install the shocks correctly, to ensure high performance and resilience. Secondly, you will feel your Jeep better when you’ll drive it off-road.
Bumps will be significantly reduced, and the entire experience will turn out to be much more comfortable.
This company has been making shocks for over a decade already, so this product is the sum of all the experience gathered during this period.
This model is much improved, starting with the materials used for its making and up to technology used for these shocks. Thus, each shock will deliver exceptional results each time you will drive your Jeep.
- Improved design of the previous Rubicon shocks
- Easy installation because they are made to fit Jeep Wrangler TJ
- Enhanced driving experience and comfort in the car
- An excellent choice for off-road driving, as they increase the car’s stability
- More than a decade of tests and experience can be found in these shocks
- An outstanding quality-price ratio
- They will fit a Jeep TJ perfectly
- Setup can be done in a few minutes, at home
- Some drivers say they can be a bit too stiff on the highway
10. Maxpow 2Pcs Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006
It is very frustrating when the lift supports struts of the rear window fail to work correctly.
You either have difficulties in using the back window or, in the worst-case scenario, you get hit in the head as you try to get things in and out of the trunk.
If you notice any failures of the existing struts, you should replace them right away. Products like this kit from Maxpow are affordable yet very reliable. Maxpow is a brand you can trust and the struts it provides use of the latest technology.
They are easy to install and will do their job as expected. The interior is made to deliver smooth operation, while the exterior is designed to withstand high moisture levels and corrosion.
- A set containing only two lift supports struts, made to be installed in the rear window of the vehicle
- The cylinders work with compressed gas
- Once the lift supports struts are operated, the rear window will lift on its own
- The installation of the struts is effortless
- The cylinders are powder-coated, and the piston rod is treated for increased corrosion resistance of these parts
- A grease chamber is integrated into the design, for smooth and silent operation
- Affordable glass lift supports struts that provide a high degree of quality and reliability
- The rear window will be lifted silently and safely
- Installation is completed in a few minutes
- The product is destined to be used for the back window of your Jeep, not its wheels
Buying Considerations of Choosing The Right Jeep Wrangler TJ Shocks
You should not rush into buying a set of shocks for your Jeep, no matter how great they look. Bear in mind that it is not just a matter of comfort, but also safety while driving your Jeep.
If you like to enjoy off-road adventures and explore rough terrain, equipping your Jeep with the right kind of shocks can mean better handling and driving of the vehicle.
So, take the time to inspect every option you have and make the best choice once you’ve collected all the needed date. Also, always take your car’s requirements and specifications into consideration.
What’s your available budget?
Whether we like to admit it or not, the budget is usually the one that dictates our purchases. However, try to keep a reserve available in case you find a higher quality product that fits your car better.
After all, you don’t invest in shocks every day. And considering that your safety is at stake, together with the security of your passengers, getting a reliable product is undoubtedly a recommended choice.
Still, even so, it doesn’t mean you’ll have to spend a small fortune on a set of shocks. If you do a bit of research, you will find shocks that have a high degree of quality without being too expensive.
What’s the ideal lift in your case?
The lift offered by a set of shocks is an aspect you need to consider. Also, it is worth knowing that front shocks may provide a different lift then the shocks destined to be fitted in the rear of the car.
If you want to restore your Jeep’s factory height, you need to know these details to choose the right product. The same goes for those that want to install larger tires on the car.
Would you like to set the shocks up in a matter of minutes, or you’re into DIY projects that take a bit of time and effort? Some shocks set come with all the accessories needed to install the shocks in place in no time.
Others may require a bit of effect and additional tools and materials. But, in general, all these kits are made to be installed at home without too many challenges. Performance is an essential decisional factor.
Why are you looking for shocks for your Jeep Wrangler TJ?
Because you want to increase the car’s performance, of course, so, the way the shocks perform is undoubtedly a critical criterium.
For this, check the technology used in the design of the shock and functioning principles. You will want shocks that can make rides smoother and take the wear and tear well.
FAQs of Buying The Best Shocks For Jeep Wrangler TJ
What kind of accessories are needed for the setup of shocks?
Usually, the shocks are shipped with all the accessories needed for their setup. But you should always check if this is so, as not all manufacturers respect this rule.
Even if you have accessories in the package, you may require some tools to make the installment happen.
So, also, if the shocks were made to fit a Jeep Wrangler TJ, it is still worth checking the details connected to their setup.
After the shocks have been installed on my Jeep, I notice that the car leans to the right-hand side. Why is this happening, and how can it be solved?
Once the shocks are in place, and their setup has been made according to the manufacturer’s requirements, most people expect to see their Jeep leveled.
However, there is a specific particularity, when it comes to Jeeps, which makes them lean to one side, more precisely the right-hand side. The gas tank and spare tire are both located on that part of the car.
If the tank is full of has, plus the weight of the spare tire will pull the car on that side, making it appear like tilting. You can get this problem solved by installing a leveling spacer in the right corner of the vehicle.
But, do bear in mind that as you use the fuel and the gas tank gets emptier, this side of the car may appear higher than the rest of the Jeep.
So, this kind of leaning doesn’t reflect a fault of the shocks, but an aspect related to the design of the Jeep.
Do I need coil springs with the shocks?
Coil springs are needed only if you want to replace broken coils or if you want to make sure that the suspension of your car is right from start to end.
If there’s nothing wrong with the coil springs you have on your Jeep, you could continue using those.
Also, it is worth mentioning that not all manufacturers offer their shocks together with springs. If you want the coil springs as well, you need to choose a kit that contains them as well or buy them separately.
Do Jeep shocks come with coil springs in the package?
Not in all kits. As mentioned earlier, not all shocks kits contain coil springs. Some will do, but there aren’t very many options here.
If you want to purchase shocks with coil springs, you will have to look for manufacturers that offer this kind of kits.
If you want a particular type or brand of shocks, and you need the coil springs as well, you will have to purchase the springs separately.
Just make sure the coil springs fit the shocks you are about to purchase.
What type of lift is offered by a kit of shocks?
This is, once more, a particularity offered by the specific shock type and brand. Some offer a 2.5-3” lift, while some go up to 4” lift.
Thus, you should always check these aspects before buying a set of shocks. Make sure they will fit your requirements and the Jeep you are driving.
Buying shocks for your Jeep Wrangler TJ can be quite an adventure, as there are quite a few products to choose from on the market.
So, it is worth taking the time to do research and check out a higher number of products to make an informed choice in the end.