Those who own vehicles for extended periods know how complicated it is when it rusts, due to we compiled a list of best rust converter for truck frame ensuring the ultimate protection.
To keep one in good shape, there is a matter of time until you need to invest money into your car, be it because some parts got broken or because you want to upgrade your ride.
In most situations, upgrades are related to the aspect of your car. Dents, scratches, and rust can make your vehicle look very old unless you inform yourself about modalities to keep the vehicle in good shape.
There are plenty of modalities in which your truck frame can be damaged and just as many patterns to have it cleaned and kept in good condition.
Comparison Table of Rust Converter For Truck Frame
Preview Brand Details Rust Converter Corroseal POR-15 Metal Prepping FDC Professional Grade Rust Converter Rust-Oleum Rust Converter Corroseal Remover Evapo-Rust Rust Spray Rust-Oleum Treatment Substance Ospho Rust Remover Soak WD-40 Rust Converter MROChem
Scratching off the surface is the most common way of getting rid of the rust, but it is not the most effective one.
Scratching off the surface can make the situation worse.
Thanks to the rapid advancements in technology, people can now use products that make the situation more manageable.
That’s how rust remover products appeared and are now saving millions of drivers worldwide from a tiring task.
This is the reason why you may want to read more about the best rust converter for the truck frame on the market.
Those products keep your car safe from the unpleasing effects of rust, without having to invest extra time into it.
You will learn more about what to look for in the best rust convertor for the truck frame, as well as how to use it to get the best result.
This is a list of honest reviews that should help you pick the appropriate product for your needs and budget.
Top 10 Best Rust Converter Reviews
01. Water-Based Rust Converter From Corroseal
- It is water-based
- Latex primer included
- 200-250 sq coverage per gallon
- Used for a wide range of applications
This is an ideal product for those who want a triple-action result with one single application. The product is one from Corroseal, and it is meant to prime the surface, convert rust, while also painting it.
Typically, you’d need one separate product for each one of these tasks, which means you’d spend a buck on each and need to apply a coat of every product.
That’s time and money consuming and not the result you would want.
Corroseal gives you the chance to provide metal surfaces their initial shine, while also cleaning and protecting them from the apparition of rust.
You can apply it on metal equipment, regular surfaces, or any other items that may require priming, painting, and rust conversion.
”Keep in mind that you can’t apply this product on freshly blasted steel or surfaces that have just been galvanized.
Also, it requires a 100% rinse. Otherwise, the surface won’t come out proportionally painted..”
What’s even greater about this product is that you are at no risk while applying it because it is water-based and non-flammable.
You’ll need to wash your hands with water and soap to get rid of it in case it touched your skin.
In terms of application, you can either brush, roll, or spray it on the surface you want.
It shouldn’t take you long regardless of the option you are opting for.
One gallon should be enough to cover 250 sq meters. This product from Corroseal is good for both household and industrial applications, and the result is a long-lasting one.
- Convenient application with multiple options (brush, spray, roll)
- Strong protective coating
- Dries evenly if applied correctly
- Good consistency (thin coat)
- Can be patchy if applied incorrectly
- Can’t be used on freshly galvanized surfaces
02. Metal Prepping Rust Converter From POR-15
- Easy application process
- Preventive coating included
- Water-based & non-flammable
- Great as a base for other POR-15 products
- Even result after rinsing
This is one of the best rust converters for the truck frame, but the results are tightly dependent on how you are going to apply it.
You need to pay great attention to prepping the surface before applying a coat of this product.
It cleans rust in a matter of minutes without requiring hours and hours of scrubbing.
You will only have to apply it, let it sink into the surface of your truck frame, and then rinse it thoroughly with water.
Because it is a water-based product, it rinses immediately, and you don’t have to sandblast the surface.
The product seems to work differently on various materials.
On mild steel and cast iron, it might react worse and require additional work to remove rust.
One downside would be that this product works best only when paired with POR-15 paint, another product in the same family from this producer.
Anyway, paired together, the products offer the expected results.
When using it for auto-related purposes, this rust converter works perfectly.
Spray your truck frame with these metal prepping solutions, leave it on for around 20 minutes (you will notice a slight change in color), and then wash it off with water and soap.
You can do the same for other surfaces like wood that are rust-stained. On metal, the product leaves a clean, chalky finish given the zinc phosphate it contains.
If you face any trouble with applying this product or cleaning it, you should know that all POR-15 products come with very detailed documentation that you can read for more information about the procedure.
- Easy to apply and wipe off
- Works great when combined with other POR-15 products
- Short action time ~20 minutes
- Cleans even the flaky rust particles that are usually left behind
- Might come off patchy in areas that are covered in thick rust
- Leaves a white residue behind
03. Professional Grade Rust Converter From FDC
- It works as a rust remover and a protection coat
- It doesn’t involve sandblasting or grinding
- 1 gallon can cover up to 500 sq
- Multiple uses, including automotive, machinery, tools and household items
- Can convert tough layers of rust
With this rust converter from FDC, you get to turn any layer of rust into a dark coat that looks good and protects the item from further damage.
This can be considered an ultra rust converter because it can go through the deepest layers of rust, given its chemical components.
You can use the product for truck frames, other car parts, machinery, or even railings and structures.
If you are planning to paint the surface after rust-cleaning it, you can do it after using the FDC rust converter because it acts as a primer coat.
”Keep in mind that the product should be stored and applied in cold conditions, under 50 degrees F, to ensure the best protection.”
Before applying this product, make sure to clean the surface thoroughly using a wire brush or sandpaper to remove fine dust and using water and soap to get rid of any grease.
Applying the product on greasy surfaces may lead to inconsistent results.
Also, shake the product well before spraying it and don’t think the substance in any way.
You can either spray it, brush it, or roll it on the surface, according to your needs.
The process shouldn’t take longer than 20 minutes, and the result should be a black, non-porous coat.
If you want, you can also apply a second coat to achieve an extra layer of protection.
It would be best to add a layer of paint to ensure long-lasting protection and a better look for the surfaces you are treating.
- Easy application and removal
- Contains tannic acid and phosphoric acid to go through thicker layers of rust
- Acts as a good primer for all surfaces
- Can be used for cleaning and protecting rust holes before applying body filler
- Needs to be applied in warm temperature conditions (e.g. heated garage)
- Requires a top coat to prevent further rust apparition
04. Rust Converter From Rust-Oleum
- Rust converter and primer
- Prevents further rust formation
- Doesn’t require rust sanding
- Can be sprayed
- Helps the base coat to stick to the surface better
Rust-Oleum is one of the best brands in terms of rust converters. You can apply this rust converter by spraying it in any angle, brush it down on roll it on.
You can get the product in areas that are more difficult to reach (like under the truck frame).
The product works best if applied on a cleaned surface to remove loose dust bits.
After applying the product evenly, it should take around 20 minutes until it converts rust and leaves a smooth surface behind.
”Depending on the surface on which you apply this product, the dry time can extend to up to three days, which is quite a lot.
If you are not planning to obtain a result as fast as possible, the product deserves some patients.”
This product is also efficient on flaking/peeling rust, which is not typical for converters of this kind.
You can use it to prep the surface and use body filler to fix holes or patches on the surface.
Moreover, the product turns black after drying and helps top coats stick to it, given its chemical ingredients.
You can use the product on various surfaces, including those that are exposed to bad weather and other harsh conditions.
- Very resistant to harsh conditions
- Gets through thick layers of rust
- Helps the topcoat bond
- Covers a large area
- If applied in high humidity, the results can be unsatisfactory
- Can dry slowly (up to three days)
05. Auto Rust Converter Products From Corroseal
- Cleans and degreases metal surfaces
- Non-corrosive and non-flammable
- Can be thinned for other purposes
- Can be used on water-safe surfaces
- Great for loosening oils and grease
In order to convert rust on metal surfaces, you need to clean and degrease it first for the best results.
Many people tend to blame the rust converter product because they don’t obtain the desired result, when – in fact – the problem is the prepping process that they didn’t do right.
The products from Corroseal seem to be quite popular when it comes to restoring rusted parts, so the producer came up with this cleaner.
Prepping the surface for rust conversion involves scrubbing off the flaky parts and degreasing the surface to help the other product adhere to the surface evenly and leave no patches behind.
Going over rust directly with a rust converter product might not have satisfactory results, and it can end up requiring extra touchups.
Applying the Corroseal cleaner, followed by their rust converter, which also acts as a primer for the surface, would be the best option.
What’s great about this product is that it can be used as a cleaner for various other surfaces, like exterior furniture or other household items.
The product consistency is thin by nature, but you can dilute it for a milder effect and apply it to other types of materials.
The texture can also be perceived as a downside since you can’t apply the product on the vertical surface without it dripping off very quickly.
Keep in mind that this product is not enough to keep your surface protected from rust on its own.
You need to pair it with other products in the same family from Corroseal.
- Cleans and degreases surfaces quickly, without involving extra effort
- It’s non-solvent, so it can be used on floors, air filters or other cleaning duties
- It can be diluted for a milder effect
- Dissolves grease very fast
- Thin consistency – can’t be applied on vertical surfaces by spraying
- Doesn’t prevent rust in itself – only preps the surface
06. Water-Based Rust Remover From Evapo-Rust
- Biodegradable, non-toxic product
- Water-based can be removed with water and soap
- Safe on the skin – no fumes, acids, VOCs etc.
- No special equipment required when using it
- Can be used on a wide range of surfaces
This is an amazing product from a myriad of standpoints. First of all, it respects the current norms in terms of protecting the environment, compared to other products in this industry.
This rust remover from Evapo-Rust doesn’t involve any chemical substances that could harm either you or the environment.
You can use it safely without wearing gloves, protection eye-glasses, or masks because it doesn’t produce any fumes and is not harsh on skin or harmful for the eyes.
This product is entirely water-based, yet it is super efficient regarding removing rust.
”To preserve the results, it would be best to treat your surface any now and then, following the same instructions.
Clean the surface again, dip them into a clean layer of the Evapo-Rust rust remover and let it dry.
The final result can be a bit sticky, but that’s the coat that prevents the surface from rinsing again.”
The best way to use this product would be to prep the surface first and remove any loose rust, grease, or dirt present on the surface.
To do that, it would be best to clean it with water and strong soap.
After that, you can apply a considerable coat of this product and leave it for a while to do its magic.
The chemical reaction behind the process is not harmful in any way, but you might need to put in some patience into it, as the surface needs to soak well before you see any results.
- Environmentally friendly product
- You don’t need to scrub the surface – the product cleans it by soaking
- No fumes or bad smells
- Mild on the skin
- Sticky finish
- Requires further treating to preserve the results
07. Best Rust Converter Spray From Rust-Oleum
- Can be used on any surfaces
- Black, even result
- Protection layer for preventing rust
- Oil-based formula
- Tack-free result in less than 40 minutes
If you are looking for the best rust converter for the truck frame, this easy spray-on product from Rust-Oleum might make your job 100 times easier.
You can mix this product up and apply it to the rusty parts to have them as new in about 30 minutes.
Isn’t that convenient? This rust reformer spray bonds with rust immediately after application, eliminate it, and prevents further apparition.
Instead of sanding the rust and damaging the surface, you can spray this product on and have everything cleaned up shortly.
”The product is a very appreciated one and works just as it is supposed to.
It doesn’t have downsides in terms of formula, but you have to be careful when applying it.
If the product is applied in a too-thin layer, there is a high chance that it will dry out rough.
One downside related to storage would be that the product goes unusable if stored for long periods, so it would be advised to use it after purchasing.”
The tip of this spray can lets you apply the product to any angle, which is very convenient for parts that are more difficult to access.
For the best results, you’ll have to spray the product by overlapping the strokes, to prevent leaving any patches uncovered in the product.
The final result is tightly connected to the way you apply the product, so pay attention to the process.
The product comes in a 10.25-ounce version, which is enough to spray your truck’s frame, as well as other parts affected by it.
- Easy spray-on application
- The oil-based formula for easy bonding
- Fast drying
- Can be sprayed in any direction
- Can dry out rough if applied in a thin layer
- Can’t be stored for long periods of time
08. Metal Treatment Substance From Ospho
- Is not a paint or a top-coat – it only inhibits rust
- No surface prepping needed for light rust
- Requires degreasing and dirt removal
- A small quantity can cover a large surface
- Easy application
This product is very appreciated in terms of inhibiting rust apparition long-term.
You only need to clean up the loose rust or paint parts present on the surface, and then you can apply this product over and let it soak a bit.
It doesn’t require any scrubbing, and it activates quite fast, leaving a shiny finish behind.
The Ospho metal treatment is made of orthophosphoric acid and a few other surfaces that react to rust and dissolve it.
Compared to other similar products on the market, this is a very affordable one, and the results are just as effective as in the case of more expensive products.
The quantity is convenient for various surfaces around the household, and using the product is very easy.
You just have to apply the product according to the included directions and there you have it – bare metal.
- Good price-quality ratio
- Easy application
- 45% orthophosphoric acid
- Helps paint bond easier
- Can only be used on metal surfaces
- Requires a top coat for best results
09. Rust Remover Soak From WD-40
- Great for dissolving rust
- Acts as a protective coat
- Non-toxic ingredients
- Good for both industrial and household purposes
- Best for auto-restoration purposes
This rust remover soak from WD-40 is meant to dissolve rust fast, while also helping with old-part restoration.
By applying this product on the surface that requires cleaning, you no longer have to scrap or chip it off, actions that often lead to destroying the surface.
The product is also non-toxic, so you can use it safely without worrying about the skin or eye damage.
Its primary purpose is to help people restore car parts, but it can also be used for industrial duties, given its extreme penetration level.
WD-40 Specialist is a range of products that can be combined for the best results on metal surfaces.
This rust remover is just one of them, and is meant for cleaning and protecting the surface.
The results can only be preserved if combining this product with others, like a primer and an extra topcoat.
One downside would be that this product can take a while to penetrate through thick layers of rust, but the results are truly impressing once WD-40 does its job.
- Dissolves heavy rust
- Mild on the skin and eyes
- No scrapping required after treating the surface
- Minimum surface prepping required
- Requires deep soaking
- Should be combined with other products for maximum efficiency
10. Black Rust Converter From MROChem
- Polymer resin coat finish
- Protective coat – prevents rust formation
- Acts as a primer
- Spray-on application
- Black finish
This is a tier-one product from MROChem that removes rust very quickly after one application. The finish is a polymer resin one, colored black.
The product involves minimum surface preparation, only needing a firm brushing to get rid of dirt and flaky rust pieces.
Washing the surface with water and soap beforehand might also help.
Before application, let the surface dry completely and spray a thick coat of this rust converter on top of it.
Let it rest for around 20-30 minutes or until you notice the surface is getting black, and there you have it – a professional result in the shortest time possible.
Besides its fantastic efficiency, this product acts as a primer, a protective coat, and a cleaner at the same time, sparing you from the need to buy multiple products for one job.
Of course, rust is best-prevented when adding a top coat of paint, especially if your part will be exposed to rough weather conditions or damaging substances (like salt on the roads).
- Easy to apply – spray-on application
- Dissolves AND prevents rust
- Requires minimum surface preparation
- Confers a very smooth finish
- High cost
- Requires re-coating for preserving results