Chances are that you are here to find the best Jeep roof rack options available. Whether you are taking a trip or simply need to tow your tools around town, roof racks add ease to your life while adding value to your vehicle.
From taking groceries home from the store to keeping your camping supplies in hand, this cargo solution is a must-have.
Of course, not all roof racks are made the same. The choice that fits you best is going to depend on what you need to tow, whether your Jeep is owned or leased, and a whole host of other things.
- 1 10 Best Jeep Roof Rack Reviews
- 1.1 01. EAG 2/4 Door Roof Rack Cargo Basket – Great for All Types of Cargo
- 1.2 02. ROLA 59504 V-Tex Rooftop Cargo Carrier – Ideal Sleek & Simple Solution
- 1.3 03. MAXXHAUL 150 LB Capacity Roof Rack – Perfect for Demanding Towing
- 1.4 04. YAKIMA MegaWarrior Roof Cargo Basket – Ideal for Large Cargo Solutions
- 1.5 05. MPH Production Universal Roof Rack RB-001-JJ – Great Versatile Solution
- 1.6 06. Highland 1041900 U-Venture Basket – Great for Traditional Travellers
- 1.7 07. Mopar Accessories 82215387 Rack Kit – Perfect Solution for Quick Setups
- 1.8 08. Rhino-Rack Aero Bar 4WD SUV Roof Rack – Ideal for An Easy-To-Use Approach
- 1.9 09. Tidal 4 Door Rooftop Cargo Rack – Diverse and Effective Travel Solution
- 1.10 10. SMITTYBILT 76713 SRC Roof Rack – Perfect for Heavy-Duty Demands
- 2 Buying Considerations of Best Jeep Roof Rack
- 3 FAQ’s of Jeep Roof Rack
- 3.0.1 What is the best jeep roof rack on the market?
- 3.0.2 Why are Smittybilt brand racks the best?
- 3.0.3 How can you put a roof rack on a Jeep?
- 3.0.4 What should I look for when buying a roof rack?
- 3.0.5 Do roof racks damage your car?
- 3.0.6 What are roof racks good for?
- 3.0.7 How much weight can a roof rack handle?
- 4 Conclusion
Comparison Table of Jeep Roof Rack
|EAG 2/4 Door Roof Rack|
|ROLA 59504 V-Tex|
|MPH Production Universal|
|Highland 1041900 U-Venture|
|Mopar Accessories 82215387|
|Tidal 4 Door Rooftop|
The good news is that in this article we break down everything you need to know in order to find the best roof rack for your specific and exacting needs.
10 Best Jeep Roof Rack Reviews
01. EAG 2/4 Door Roof Rack Cargo Basket – Great for All Types of Cargo
If you are looking for something that makes it easy for you to strap in your cargo and accommodate all sizes of luggage, this is a great solution.
Thrust into popularity thanks to its aesthetic appeal, the firm lines, and boxy structure works perfectly with the look and style of any Jeep.
Since it is made out of steel, you don’t have to worry about denting and with the powder coat exterior, you don’t need to concern yourself with rusting.
Jeeps are a favorite vehicle because they withstand the elements. This rack holds up well to those standards.
- Attachable without requiring drilling
- Front and back roof rack pieces for easy assembly
- Works on models between 2007 and 2018
- Sturdy, steel construction
- Reduces wind absorption
- Simple installation
- Not compatible with newer Jeep models
- Only suited to those that want a basket-style rack
02. ROLA 59504 V-Tex Rooftop Cargo Carrier – Ideal Sleek & Simple Solution
When you are heading out of the city to spend some time with nature, chances are that you have some friends or family taking up the seating in your Jeep.
That means you need to accommodate everything from your tent to supplies outside of the vehicle. In these situations, this rack works out perfectly.
It features a sporty design that matches the sturdy construction of the building. With a strong exterior, it holds up against dampness and dust and can tackle everything from wind to hailstorms.
Since Jeeps are some of the best vehicles for off-roading, when you choose this option, you don’t have to sacrifice fun for storage.
- Works on most factory set roof racks
- Adds value through wind deflection
- Mounting hardware comes with the setup kit
- Rings in at 48X37.5X5 inches
- Compatible with most models
- Simple installation
- Strong and sturdy
- Two-piece construction subject to rusting
- Higher on the pricing spectrum
03. MAXXHAUL 150 LB Capacity Roof Rack – Perfect for Demanding Towing
You are a busy person, so it makes sense that you seek a towing solution that is as efficient and focused as you are. The good news is that this roof rack lives up to the hype.
With a sleek black design, it rings in at 6 x 36 x 4 ½ inches meaning it offers a lot of space for your cargo.
The aerodynamic design reduces your safety risks since it allows the air to move smoothly over the top of your cargo.
Given that you can haul as much as 150 pounds with you, it means that you only need a single cargo-hauling solution for your trip. This frees up the room inside your Jeep so that you can bring extra passengers or have some added space for souvenirs.
- Provides roomy cargo space
- Offers room to tie down your storage
- Rust-resistant materials in the coating
- Matches with most Jeep models
- Extremely low-cost choice
- Instantly lets you haul cargo
- Simple installation process
- Comes disassembled
- Doesn’t prevent scratch damage
04. YAKIMA MegaWarrior Roof Cargo Basket – Ideal for Large Cargo Solutions
Let’s say you are the kind of person with true brand loyalty (not an uncommon property amongst Jeep owners).
It means you appreciate compatibility and understand that there is a better chance of finding a successful fit when you keep to the same manufacturer.
Well, if YAKIMA is your brand this is a great roof rack. It fits perfectly with all your other outdoor gear and makes sporting and camping a breeze.
An added perk: it has a really simple installation process since it comes somewhat preassembled.
Life’s downtime is precious, make the most of it by choosing a roof rack that is the easiest for you to use. Save time on the installation and focus instead on enjoying your Jeep excursion.
- Ideal for storing sporting supplies
- Compatible with most SUVs and trucks
- Optional extension pack for extra towing ability
- Quick and straightforward installation
- Resists weather with heavy-duty construction
- Reduces noise when driving
- Doesn’t include locking bracket
- Works best with other YAKIMA products
05. MPH Production Universal Roof Rack RB-001-JJ – Great Versatile Solution
Perhaps you are a multi-vehicle family. Maybe you plan to trade in your Jeep shortly after the next camping excursion.
Whatever the case, if you want a roof rack that works with all your vehicles, reaching for a multipurpose, universal solution is the ideal direction to take.
It allows you the ease of knowing that the tool will fit the system so that you don’t have to fret oversize and dimension.
Especially if you tow a lot of small items that don’t favor being sloshed around during travel, this is a great direction to take.
Because of the sturdy base and side rails, your items stay firmly in place even for rigorous journeys. Since Jeeps work both on and off-road, this is a really practical solution.
- Rings in at 48 x 38 x 5 inches
- Coated finish and steel construction
- Sturdy build that handles a heavy load
- Offers a lot of storage space
- Reduces noise during travel
- Great for off-roading trips
- Somewhat difficult setup
- Higher price than comparable models
06. Highland 1041900 U-Venture Basket – Great for Traditional Travellers
Sometimes, the best truck accessories are the tried and true models. They have proven successful over the long term and thus built trust in the open market.
Thanks to the basic designs and sleek lines of this old-style rooftop basket, you get the benefits of old construction coupled with modern materials.
Even though it is a throwback to older models, this features all the bells and whistles like an aerodynamic build which adds safety.
It works with most crossbars, meaning that whatever make or model you are currently driving, this is a great solution for your cargo-hauling needs.
- Works on most Jeep makes and models
- Fits with almost all crossbars on the market
- Reduces wind resistance by design
- Sturdy steel manufacturing
- Durable and long-lasting
- Easy assembly
- Doesn’t prevent noise in transit
- Traditional appearance not suited to new models
07. Mopar Accessories 82215387 Rack Kit – Perfect Solution for Quick Setups
If you are traveling with a cargo of strange dimensions, this is a great approach to take.
Especially since baskets are restricting and work better for things like luggage and more compact items, if you want to tow something like a canoe, you need a rack like this.
The open-concept approach encourages all dimensions of cargo so that you don’t need to take out your measuring tape every time you prepare to hit the road.
It mounts easily to the hardtop railings standard to these models when they come out of the factory.
It fits on without needing to drill it in so, even if you rent or lease your vehicle, you don’t have to fret about long term damage.
- Works on new Jeep Wrangler models
- Black powder to prevent rust damage
- The aluminum interior also resists organic wear and tear
- Relatively low price for value
- Doesn’t need drilling to install
- Resists rust naturally
- Only suited to 2018-2019 models
- Weaker aluminum construction
08. Rhino-Rack Aero Bar 4WD SUV Roof Rack – Ideal for An Easy-To-Use Approach
Some things never change, and that is one of the reasons that a lot of people gravitate to the ever-classic Jeep.
Whether you drive a Jeep from 2011 or 2020, there is usually no mistake to make: when you glance at a Jeep, you know it’s a Jeep. That’s why this model works on all models during that period of time.
It has all the bells and whistles such as easy installation and removal and an open concept design that allows you to secure any size of cargo.
With this roof rack setup, no matter what type of Jeep you drive and what kind of accessory you choose to haul, the rack holds up against whatever you throw at it.
- Simple setup and teardown
- Sleek design lessens the noise
- Works with all types of cargo
- Suited to 2007-2010 Jeep Wranglers
- Fitted to 2007-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
- Open concept storage solution
- Bar style prevents overheating
- Sturdy design for durability
- Selective compatibility
- Doesn’t feature a basket
09. Tidal 4 Door Rooftop Cargo Rack – Diverse and Effective Travel Solution
Working with most Jeep Wrangler JK models currently on the road, this diverse rack fits onto anything between the years of 2007 and 2018.
Ideal for a 4 door Jeep, you can store just about anything in the rooftop carrier. Featuring a basket, it is ideal for more compact storage needs like luggage and camping gear.
Given that it is able to haul up to 300 pounds of weight, you can bet that no matter what you are hauling, it is well cared for.
Making for quick installation, the model avoids the need for you to drill holes into the Jeep or make any type of modification.
Instead, you can just go through a quick installation process and be on the road to your destination in a jiffy.
- Works on 2007 – 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 doors
- Rings in at 4.9×7.8×5.5 inches
- Ideal for small yet heavy cargo
- Deflects wind with aerodynamic front panel
- Install without drilling
- Sleek, black design
- Carries up to 300 lbs
- Hollow tubing
- Relatively high cost
10. SMITTYBILT 76713 SRC Roof Rack – Perfect for Heavy-Duty Demands
Perhaps you have some serious tools to take with you on your trip. Whether you need to haul a heavy generator to your campsite or need to bring construction materials around the city, this is a great option.
Since it can handle weight up to 700 pounds, you can rest easy knowing that whatever you throw at it, the roof rack is up to par.
With thickly coated steel tubing, this product is sturdy against both rust and impact damage.
One of the more innovative approaches to the roof rack concept, this features steel bars that trace down the side of your Jeep for extra support.
Given that it is easy to remove and install, you can mount it on the top of your truck for an easy and quick experience.
- A unique construction that holds tight to the Jeep’s body
- Simple to install and to remove after use
- Works with all Jeep Wrangler TJ 1997-2006
- The four-point mounting system for strength
- Sturdy build and design
- Low cost for value
- Works with most accessories
- Not suited to new models
- Doesn’t feature a basket
Buying Considerations of Best Jeep Roof Rack
Now that you’ve taken a look at the best roof racks around, you are probably ready to pack your bags, strap down your cargo, and hit the open road.
However, before you hit that ‘add to cart’ button, there are a few things to keep in mind when you make your purchase. These include:
In order to have a good buying experience, the first thing you need to keep an eye on is whether or not your roof rack is compatible.
Most racks show the specifications and let you select from a range of vehicle models so that you can make sure that it fits.
As Jeeps evolve, there are small changes to the body of the system. This means that modern roof racks won’t necessarily fit with older models and vice versa.
From fitting in with the roof’s crossbars to the basic dimensions, you need to be certain that you can install the system on your truck.
Check the dimensions and which Jeep years the rack was made to fit. Keep in mind that there are small differences between roof racks for Wrangler TJs and JKs and all other different models. As long as you check the specifics, there won’t be an issue.
In terms of design and appearance, it is really a matter of personal preference. This speaks to everything from shape and color to the style of the rack itself. While most options are black, it doesn’t mean they all look the same.
Some are subtler and fit neatly while others are more sprawling and bolder. If you have a boxier Jeep, then it is best to choose something with straight lines.
For more modern Jeep models, try to shoot for a model with rounded edges. This helps you stick to Jeep style and make sure you ride in style.
There are a couple of basic materials that are standard to roof racks. In keeping with this, you either opt for aluminum or steel.
There are some pros and cons to each material. Steel is generally a lot stronger towards impact damage and, so long as it is coated, resists rust well.
Most models, whatever metal they are, use a black coat to cover the exterior to prevent damage caused by weather. That said, the coating can chip easily when you move your luggage on and off the rack.
Steel will rust when exposed whereas aluminum repels rust naturally. On the other hand, aluminum is vulnerable to denting.
Basically, if you plan to move heavy cargo, choose steel. For lightweight travels, opt for aluminum.
Some of the more modern rack styles have evolved to promote airflow. With a tilted faceplate, they let air move seamlessly over top of the cargo without causing extra drag.
Though the drag itself won’t usually cause enough grief to slow you down during travel, it does have a couple of other effects. The first is a slight reduction in fuel efficiency.
This means that when you travel with heavy cargo and factor in wind resistance, you end up spending more money on gas.
The second impact presents in terms of safety, and like most safety concerns, it doesn’t arise until you are in an incident. When there is heavy wind, if there isn’t an aerodynamic feature, the gust can catch the cargo.
This leaves your Jeep subject to tipping over and makes both the passengers and cargo more vulnerable. To stay as safe as possible opt for something that has aerodynamic features.
It’s no surprise that, as you jaunt down the road, if air hits your overhead cargo, it is going to make some sound. Because of these irritated drivers for years, certain roof rack models have features that lessen the noise itself.
This comes down to how the cargo sits when it is on your Jeep and how the rack sits on top of the Jeep. When you opt for an option with noise-reducing features, you enable a smoother ride with less irritation.
Often, this sound reduction also has practical benefits since, when you layout your things properly, it evens out the weight distribution.
This ensures that the wear and tear on your wheels happen evenly and isn’t accelerated on one side due to imbalanced towing.
If you have all the time and money in the world, installation won’t be a problem. However, since few of us do, it is good to keep your eye on some of the setup nuances that can make or break your roof rack endeavors.
Drilling vs. Surface: Especially if you lease your vehicle or plan to sell it somewhere down the line, you want to stick to surface installation.
Once upon a time, setting up a roof rack required drilling into the Jeep or its crossbar components.
This causes damage, leaves space for moisture to enter and rust, and hurts the durability of the roof rack. Generally speaking, it is better to choose a set up that doesn’t need drilling to install it.
At-Home vs. Mechanic: Since this is such a simple tool, it is best to opt for an option that doesn’t require a mechanic to set it up.
To achieve this, make sure that the product comes with all the necessary tools for installation. This ensures that you will have everything you need to do the job at your home garage.
Assembled vs. Disassembled: While some products come in pieces, some are available partly assembled. It depends on whether you plan to tweak the product.
Usually, it saves time to choose an option that comes out together. It is a straightforward product and it only saves you time when you opt for a pre-set model.
07. Basket vs. Rack
This last consideration is all a matter of preference. Consider for a moment what cargo you plan to haul.
If it’s a luggage and smaller, more compact items, you can comfortably opt for a basket.
If you need to haul something that is larger and more awkward with awkward dimensions, stick to the standard rack.
Baskets work to keep things in place and sturdy during your travels. Racks let you tow any shape of the item.
08. Weight Capacity
Consider how much weight you need to tow. If you have a little bit to carry and the rack is to free up storage in the Jeep, it isn’t really a worry.
Otherwise, look at the amount the rack can tow. Some can handle 300 lbs; others 700 lbs. Choose the option that suits your needs best before you make that final decision.
FAQ’s of Jeep Roof Rack
What is the best jeep roof rack on the market?
There are a lot of different parameters for roof racks, but a key one to keep your eye on is a proven record of success. Choose options that have shown to be useful to many.
When looking over reviews, one of the forerunners on the market is Smittybilt. This is thanks to heavy-duty construction and simple installation.
Coming in many different styles and methods, these roof racks can accommodate a lot of weight and work on multiple different models.
Of course, the best rack for your Jeep depends on the age of your vehicle and its type. For best results, make sure to look out for compatible options that suit your personal needs.
Why are Smittybilt brand racks the best?
Thanks to the heavy-duty construction and top-tier manufacturing, this model leads the curve in terms of quality. Generally speaking, they are simple to install and can be set up within an afternoon.
With great staying quality, the rack usually lasts as long as your Jeep keeps running.
Since, in most cases, you can establish the system without drilling, even after your Jeep wears down or you choose to park it, the rack is still viable.
How can you put a roof rack on a Jeep?
Most roof racks come with an instruction manual. The key is to set aside a couple of hours and sufficient space to do the installation.
If you are in doubt, get the help of a friend to assist with the lifting and make sure everything stays firmly in place.
Most rack systems come pre-set with everything you need to place it on your Jeep. However, there are some that require you to have a few tools of your own.
If you find yourself worrying about the installation process, make sure that everything comes included in the kit. For added ease, take a look at choices that come somewhat preassembled.
It will save you a lot of time during the setup process. Remember to follow the instructions to the letter so that your roof rack installation goes as smoothly as possible.
What should I look for when buying a roof rack?
When you buy a roof rack, there are a few key things to keep an eye on. The main factors include:
- Basket vs. Rack: Depending on what you need to haul, a basket or flat rack will be better suited. Baskets work when you want to keep your smaller items more firmly in place. It is great for luggage and other more compact items. The rack is better for larger items that won’t fit into a basket. Generally speaking, flat racks can handle a lot more weight than the basket counterpart.
- Compatibility: Make sure the item fits with your specific model of Jeep. Since different models have slightly tweaked dimensions, you need to make sure the rack will fit properly. Keep an eye both on the measurements of the rack and on the years with which it is compatible. When you do this, you will have a good experience.
- Quality & Durability: Take a look at the quality of construction, it is the key factor in terms of having a lasting roof rack. When you choose a roof rack, you want to make sure it is good to stand the test of time. The best way to do this is to ensure that the product has a top-tier material like steel or aluminum. Ensure that it resists rust so that you can comfortably travel in all weather.
Of course, there are more things to look for so, to see a full list, check out the buying considerations we detail in this article.
Do roof racks damage your car?
The short answer is no, roof racks don’t damage your vehicle. That said, this is only true when you select an option that doesn’t require drilling.
Older versions needed you to drill into the Jeeps structure to set up the item. Nowadays, they can fit onto your crossbars seamlessly so that you can avoid harming your vehicle.
When you drill, it leaves room for rusting thanks to moisture having a point of access. Avoid this pitfall by opting for a selection that you can install without using a drill.
Take a look at the instructions of the product you plan to purchase to make sure that your Jeep stays safe from excessive wear and tear.
What are roof racks good for?
These helpful tools are useful for carrying cargo both short and long distances. They enable you to free up space inside of your Jeep so that you can bring more passengers.
With a roof rack, you never need to choose between bringing friends and bringing your stuff on your trip. Jeeps are not necessarily known for their roominess inside, so the opportunity to keep the spaciousness inside the vehicle is ideal.
Since most models can fit large sets of cargo, you aren’t limited to what you can bring with you on your journey.
They offer a sturdy way to store your items both when your truck is at rest and during your travels.
With a quality roof rack, you can do all the off-roading you love while also keeping your property safe and protected.
How much weight can a roof rack handle?
The amount of cargo a roof rack can tow varies based on the rack you choose. Some can haul as little as 150 lbs. This is ideal for smaller-scale trips of a more recreational style.
Others go a bit higher and can handle roughly 300 lbs. Better suited for camping and off-roading, these racks enable you to carry most of your supplies on top of the vehicle.
Some of the other, heavy-duty, options can handle as much as 700 lbs. If you have a lot of tools to haul such as generators, tires, or other pieces, this is the direction to take.
Of course, this is only as good as weight distribution. Make sure to evenly place the weight as best as possible to promote fuel efficiency and reduce drag.
Overall, roof racks are a must-have vehicle accessory that makes the Jeep experience a whole lot better for both work and recreation.
Now that you know everything about the best Jeep roof rack options, it’s time to begin. Decide what you plan to haul and what’s important to you in a roof rack.
When you select your product based on your values, you are sure to have a great experience. Happy travels!