Finding the best jeep hardtop hoist that fits your needs is not easy. Whether you want to feel the wind or tuck more items in your jeep, you will need the appropriate equipment to remove the hardtop.
Otherwise, you risk damaging hardtop and your jeep or even injuring yourself.
If you are contemplating which jeep hardtop hoist to get, keep reading our review of the 10 best jeep hardtop hoist options from top brands like Harken Hoister, Racor, Lange Originals, and Smittybilt Depot.
Comparison Table of Jeep Hardtop Hoist
- 1 Top 10 Best Jeep Hardtop Hoist Reviews
- 1.1 01. Harken Jeep Hardtop Hoist – Editors Choice: Best Value
- 1.2 02. Harken Garage Storage Ceiling Hoist – Best 4-Door Hardtop Hoist
- 1.3 03. Hoist-A-Top 014-210 Power Hoist – Best Electric Powered Hoist System
- 1.4 04. Smittybilt 510001 Hard Top Hoist- Highest Weight Capacity Jeep Hoist
- 1.5 05. Garage Smart Hard Top Lifter – Best Bluetooth Controlled Hardtop Lifter
- 1.6 06. PROMAXX Jeep Wrangler Hard Top Hoist – Best Wrangler Hardtop Hoist
- 1.7 07. Racor Ceiling Storage Heavy Lift- Most Versatile Choice
- 1.8 08. Goplus Lift Electric Hoist – Highly Recommended Time Saver
- 1.9 09. J-BARR: Jeep Wrangler Hardtop Removal and Storage System – Versatile Jeep Wrangler Hardtop Hoist
- 1.10 10. Harken Garage Storage Ceiling Hoist- Best Recommended Space Saver
- 2 Jeep Hardtop Hoist Buying Guide
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions of Jeep Hardtop Hoist
- 3.0.1 What benefit do I get from a hardtop hoist?
- 3.0.2 Do hardtop hoists have motors?
- 3.0.3 Can the hoisting work on angled ceilings?
- 3.0.4 Is the cable on the hoist long enough?
- 3.0.5 What is the process of removing a jeep top?
- 3.0.6 What is the process of installing a winch at the ceiling?
- 3.0.7 Can I operate the Hoist to lift the Hardtop by Myself?
- 4 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Jeep Hardtop Hoist Reviews
01. Harken Jeep Hardtop Hoist – Editors Choice: Best Value
- Four-point hoist kit
- Lifts up to 145lbs
- 10ft height lifting capacity
- 6: 1 mechanical advantage
- Stainless steel hardware
- Self-locking safety cleat
- Bonus thumbscrews
- 1” long steel stud
Our top choice for the best jeep hardtop hoist is the Harken Jeep Hoister.
The hoist uses a four-point hoist and pulley system, which is specially designed for lifting all the four corners of a jeep hardtop from one point.
You will appreciate the pulley system, which allows you to operate the hoist without further assistance efficiently.
Better yet, the pulley features a braking system that prevents loss of control when operating it.
The Harken Jeep Hardtop hoist is designed with functionality in mind.
It comes with plenty of safety features such as nylon straps for lifting and an anti-drop system that lifts evenly and prevents and locks the rope to prevent inadvertent release.
A high spec that makes this jeep hardtop hoist by Harken stand out is the set of six bolts.
These free screws are designed for easy removal of the Jeep hardtop. With these screws, removing your hardtop has never gotten faster and easier.
- Easy to install
- The anti-drop mechanism for safety
- Fits all Jeep models
- Features easy-removal bolts
- Lifts and distributes weight evenly
- Kit not complete
02. Harken Garage Storage Ceiling Hoist – Best 4-Door Hardtop Hoist
- 200lbs lifting weight capacity
- 12 feet lifting height capacity
- 8:1 mechanical advantage
- 4 lifting point system
Are you looking for a hoist that will support a heavier hardtop? Then you should consider this model which is designed to lift hardtops of up to 200lbs.
This product is made in the USA, and it has a lifting height capacity of about 12 feet. Its one-person operation feature makes it very easy for one person to use it without needing further assistance.
“This model, however, works best with the 4-door hardtop.”
Not only that, it features a pulley system that provides a mechanical advantage of 8:1 to enable you to lift the heavy hardtops evenly.
The patented design ensures even weight distribution, and this will help to prevent damaging your Jeep with the load. Additionally, it operates using a single control rope.
Another fantastic feature is the self-locking safety cleat that grips instantly should the user accidentally drop the rope.
It immediately catches the suspended load without causing any damage or injury.
You should also know that this hoist comes with a double braided rope to not only increase the strength of the hoist but to also extend its longevity.
- 200lb max capacity
- Requires minimal effort to use
- Made in the USA
- One-person operation feature
- Exceptional durable construction
- Patented design for even weight distribution
- Double braid rope for strength
- Installation can be challenging
- Ideal for 4-door hardtops only
03. Hoist-A-Top 014-210 Power Hoist – Best Electric Powered Hoist System
- Ideal for jeep JK models
- Electric Winch
- Rubber coated hooks
- Various lifting points
- Rear Smart Hook
- 7ft-25ft lifting height capacity
Removing the hardtop cover of your jeep is not as easy as one might imagine. While mechanical hoists can get the job done, an electrical winch is a much better option when it comes to ease of use.
The Hoist-A-Top 014-210 comes in handy for anyone that may have back problems and doesn’t what to remove the hardtop manually.
With just a push of a button, you can easily remove and store the hardtop.
A trademarked item of the winch is the Balance Blade, which makes it possible for the steel frame to support as well as balance the top. This makes the removal process more comfortable and smoother.
A top concern that most jeep owners have when using a hoist is the possibility that the top of the jeep can get ruined during the hardtop removal.
This is because most hoists are either drilled or affixed to the hardtop.
Luckily, that is not the case with this model because it comes with rubber-coated hooks to protect the finish from scratch and damage.
Also, any other hardware that comes into contact with your jeep is foam-coated.
Another feature worth noting is the rear hook called Smart Hook that allows you to lift and store your Jeep top while the back window is shut.
- 3-minute hardtop removal
- Easy, one-person removal
- Lifting hooks are rubber coated
- A bit expensive
04. Smittybilt 510001 Hard Top Hoist- Highest Weight Capacity Jeep Hoist
- 200-amp motor
- 1000-pound weight capacity
- Compatible with various Jeep models
- Glide wheels
- Internal brakes and limit stops
Designed for the CJ, TJ, YJ, and JK, the Smittybilt 510001 features an electric winch that can lift hardtops of up to a whopping 1000 pounds.
This is thanks to the 200-amp motor and an electric winch system that can remove the top from one point of the lifting frame.
The frame, which is made of heavy-duty steel tubing comes with roll pins as well as a pulley system for easy lifting and lowering.
It attaches to the hardtop at three points and can do the lifting with the rear window closed.
Additionally, it is assembled with cushioned rollers, and rubber stops to prevent damaging your jeep’s top.
“One downside of this unit is that the instructions may be difficult to understand.”
You should know that since this hoist is designed to run electronically, it doesn’t use ropes to do the lifting.
Once this handy implement lifts and stores your Jeep top, the only thing left to do is mounting.
Besides hardtop, the winch could be set up differently to lift and store other items. You can, however, do well if you have a few technical skills.
- The winch is powered by 200-1mp motor
- Easy to mount and use
- Great for limited space
- Weight capacity of 1000 pounds
- Constructed from heavy-duty materials
- Operates electronically
- Instructions not helpful
05. Garage Smart Hard Top Lifter – Best Bluetooth Controlled Hardtop Lifter
- 170lb maximum weight capacity
- 8ft-16ft ceiling height
- Compatibility: Android and Apple iOS devices
- Universal application
- DIY installation
- Motorized lifter
This hardtop lifter by Garage Smart is designed to lift jeep hardtops making the task look simple and effortless.
This unit has a weight capacity of 170lbs and can fit well in the ceiling with a height of 8ft to 16 ft.
A unique spec of this model is the universal application that features brackets specially designed to work with any jeep hardtop model, including JK unlimited 4-door and JK 2 door.
Users who love convenience will love this lifter since a simple push of a button operates it.
Unlike most jeep hoists, this unit is Bluetooth controlled. Once the hoist is installed, use the Garage Smart App on your smartphone or tablet to control the hardtop removal through Bluetooth. It has never gotten any easier than this!
Another great spec that this hardtop lifter boasts of is a DIY installation.
It comes with all the necessary pieces that are required for installation, such as hardtop brackets and detailed instructions of the installation process.
Safety features are also included as the 2 electric winches are equipped with an internal lock to prevent slip.
- Very easy to operate
- Features a universal design
- Bluetooth controlled
- Safety features to protect your vehicle
- Easy DIY installation
- Includes storage pockets for storing freedom panels
- Simple hand tools not included
06. PROMAXX Jeep Wrangler Hard Top Hoist – Best Wrangler Hardtop Hoist
- Crafted from quality material
- 1000lb winch with AC plugin
Lift your hardtop with ease with the PROMAXX jeep wrangler hardtop hoist. This hardtop hoist by ProMaxx is made of high-quality materials and designed with the state-of-art-technology.
ProMaxx is a reputable brand that is known to deliver the most comprehensive, innovative, and reliable products.
All the hardware in this hoist is designed to be robust and durable to withstand heavy use.
For this reason, you can have peace of mind knowing that it will serve you for many years to come.
This hoist can lift heavy loads as it features 1000lbs winch, which comes with the AC plugin. This provides exceptional reliability.
With this well-made top hoist, the removal of your hardtop hoist will be effortless. Not only is it reliable, but it is also straightforward to use and time-saving.
It has an impressive and effective set up which allows you to remove jeep tops safely.
Are you worried about your safety and that of your jeep? An even impressive feature of this unit is the safety feature that is designed with a self-locking ball which comes in handy in the event of slipping or dropping.
This is a very useful safety feature because it prevents the hardtop from damaging anything in your car or even injuring anyone.
- Easy to use
- Perfect for lifting wrangler hardtop
- Safe and durable hardware
- 1000lb winch with AC plugin
- Installation needed
07. Racor Ceiling Storage Heavy Lift- Most Versatile Choice
- Steel construction epoxy finish
- Overhead steel platform of 4*4ft
- 250-pound weight capacity
- 8 ft. vertical lift
- High-strength steel
- Safety lock
- Installation accessories
This ceiling storage heavy lift by Racor is a ceiling-installed elevator that is designed to help you load and carry heavy items to your house/garage ceiling.
It is the best option if you have limited floor space since it can offer extra storage space of 16 square feet, allowing you to stock up virtually anything.
The ceiling storage heavy lift comes with durable steel construction with an epoxy finish that enables you to raise loads with a weight capacity of up to 250lbs.
You need a 4*4 foot steel platform to help safely place the items on the rack. Once you are done, crank the handle to make the platform raise the questions to the ceiling.
As the lift is raising the items, you might be concerned about your safety. However, no need to worry because once the load is in place, it is locked with a safety lock.
Designed with a unique pulley system, you can be sure this unit will handle heavy and strong loads with unfailing performance.
- Ensures valuable floor space
- 250 pounds weight capacity
- Made from durable and strong materials
- Safety lock to hold the load in place
- Provides 16-square foot storage space
- Features unique pulleys system
- Adjustable and mounts to any ceiling
- Installation needed
08. Goplus Lift Electric Hoist – Highly Recommended Time Saver
- Rugged steel shell
- Anti-twist steel line cable
- High-quality copper motor
- High strength hook
- Precise rotor
If you are doing heavy-duty removal of your jeep hardtop, then the Goplus lift electric hoist should be perfect for you.
It features two heavy-duty strength hooks that lift a maximum load capacity of 440lbs, 880lbs, and 1320 lbs.
On a single hook, the hoist offers 26ft per minute and a maximum lift height of 39ft. The lift speed of the double hook is 13 feet/minute, and it has a maximum lift weight of 20ft.
Because of its reliable and rugged hardware, steel shell, and mounting hanging clamp brackets, you can be assured that the electric wire host is tough and long-lasting.
A high spec of this unit is the cooper motor that provides reliable power but does not consume a lot of electricity.
The motor has excellent heat dissipation ability and is ETL approved grade. For this reason, it makes the electric wire host durable enough to endure heavy use.
It also features a silicon steel rotor that enables the hoist to work more efficiently and safely.
If you love hoists that don’t require a lot of manual operation, then you will love this system.
It is fully automatic with a remote control panel that is easy to operate and requires no hand cranking. Also, this hoist is designed with safety in mind.
It features a thermal protection device and a built-in automatic brake function.
- Heavy-duty and durable
- Easy to operate
- Safety features
- Doesn’t consume high electricity
- Fully automatic
- Needs assembling
Find out the top wall mounted garage vaccum on the market today.
09. J-BARR: Jeep Wrangler Hardtop Removal and Storage System – Versatile Jeep Wrangler Hardtop Hoist
- 250lbs weight capacity
- Patent-pending design
- Aluminum construction
- Microfleece top protectors
Another best jeep hardtop hoist is the J-BARR. J-BARR is a jeep wrangler top lift that is made in the USA and is designed to offer the ultimate solution to remove and store your jeep wrangler hardtop with ease.
If your jeep is heavy and massive, then you require a hoist that has a super sturdy and durable construction.
This model is designed with durability in mind and features aluminum construction with a black powdered coat finish.
It can lift loads with a maximum capacity of up to 250lbs. It also offers a great storage system.
Once you have removed your hardtop, place it on the rack and secure it with racks before cranking the handle to lift it.
“However, if your hardtop is more than this weight, the J-BARR jeep wrangler hardtop removal may not be helpful.”
Also, if you are looking for a hoist that will allow you to operate it safely; this is the best option for you.
Not only does it come with improved safety tab connectors but also features microfleece, top protectors.
As a result, safety won’t be your concern anymore. Moreover, the hoist comes with added handles, winch, and mounting kit for ease of use when lifting or lowering your hardtop.
- Lifts and store items up to 250lbs
- Lightweight aluminum construction
- Simple to use
- Safety lock and tab connectors
- 50ft winch cable sold separately
10. Harken Garage Storage Ceiling Hoist- Best Recommended Space Saver
- 4-point system
- 3:1 mechanical advantage
- For 60lb max load and 10ft ceilings
- Hoisting rope
- Organizer pulley
- Stainless steel hardware
The Harken Garage hoist utilizes the 4-point system that enables you to lift evenly the four corners of your hardtop.
One thing that makes this hoist stand out is its length, which makes it suitable for garages that have a higher ceiling.
It is arguably the best because it works with almost any ceiling. Besides, this hoist is ideal for you if you are looking for more space in your garage or studio space.
It gives you extra storage to store the hardtop, kayak, or canoe without breaking your back.
Another impressive feature is the mechanical advantage of 3:1, which allows you to lift and lower large items all by yourself.
The hoist features durable ropes and pulleys that hang from the ceiling, giving you the power to lift the hardtop with ease.
If you are one that is concerned about your safety and that of your jeep, you will love the fact that this hoist features a self-locking safety cleat.
This means the rope is accidentally released; the cleat will automatically grip and instantly catch the suspended load.
- Designed for one-person removal
- Sturdy and safe hardware
- Made in the USA
- Frees up a lot of space
- Straightforward instructions
- Multipurpose- can be used to lift other items
- Some users report quality issues
Jeep Hardtop Hoist Buying Guide
It goes without saying that purchasing the wrong hardtop hoist can damage your jeep.
There a few factors to keep in mind when buying a hardtop hoist for your jeep.
Here are things to look out for when making your buying decision.
The first and most important feature is the product’s compatibility with your jeep. It is important to note that there are slight variations when it comes to the design and size of different hardtops.
Nonetheless, these slight variations can cause damage to your jeep and the top.
For this reason, it is essential to ensure that the product you choose is compatible with your exact model. You can make confident of this by reading the product’s specifications.
Another thing worth noting is the amount of space in your garage to install the hoist. Realize that some hoists, particularly the top-mounted ones, require a ceiling height of about 10 feet.
So, if you don’t have this space in your garage, consider looking for a model that will fit properly. In the same way, ensure that you have enough space to store the hardtop as well.
Is the hardtop easy or hard to install? This is a question that you need to ask yourself when shopping for a hoist to remove the hardtop of your jeep.
Some units are going to need a little more extensive installation than others.
If you are one of these people who are concerned about the whole installation process, then you may need to consider a portable floor hoist model.
However, if you are good with tools and have some assembling skills, then you won’t find it challenging to purchase a hoist system that requires installation.
The crucial thing to consider is the installation time required. While some hoists take three hours to set up, others may take more.
For instance, top-mounted lists have an installation process that you need to follow.
So, you should be keen on the reliability of instructions as this will determine whether you are going to have an easy time setting up the hoist or not.
Before buying a hardtop hoist, you need to know exactly how much you will be pulling.
The weight capacity of different hoists can vary, with some managing up to 300 pounds of maximum capacity.
So when you have an idea of how you will be pulling, it will be much easier to choose the right hoist for your needs.
As mentioned above, most hardtop hoists need a minimum ceiling height of 10 feet to operate effectively.
The operating clearance is essential; hence, you need to check the product’s specifications to be certain that it operates with that height.
If you find that the roof is too high, you can add a rope to reach the ceiling height of the hoist.
Ease of Use
The best hoist comes with simple-to-follow instructions and should be easy to operate.
If you are going to operate it by yourself, you want to make sure that the hoist comes with a one-person operation feature.
Otherwise, you might get stuck and frustrated with the whole process.
How the Hoist is Powered
Hoists can be powered by either using an electric winch or by hand.
If saving time is an essential consideration for you, then you will need an electric-powered hoist. This is because they require less effort and save time.
To operate, you need to press a button or use the remote. The only downside is that they are on the expensive side.
Hand powered hoist, on the other hand, are cost-effective but require more effort.
With the mechanical lift, you will be pulling a rope to raise or lower the hoist.
Although mechanical hoists are budget-friendly, they are more likely to cause damage or injury and end up being costly in the long run.
It is highly recommendable to ensure that the mechanical hoist you choose comes with safety features like locks in order to prevent any damage.
Hoists made from high-quality materials are more likely to withstand the test of time than those with poor construction.
During the selection stage, see to it that the hardware is rock solid and is only made with the highest quality materials.
This way, you can be assured that the unit will serve you for an extended period.
Frequently Asked Questions of Jeep Hardtop Hoist
What benefit do I get from a hardtop hoist?
A hoist helps with the easy removal of your Jeep’s hardtop. It is the safest and easiest your jeep top without damaging it and your jeep or causing injury to yourself.
Typically, a hardtop is quite heavy, and it may require several people to safely remove it without causing any damage.
Doing it on your own is not recommendable as you might end up with a back injury.
Do hardtop hoists have motors?
Yes, but not all models have motors. There are two types of hoists; electrical winches that come with a motor and mechanical winches that don’t contain an engine.
Because they contain a motor, electrical hoists are super easy to use than their counterparts. You only need to use a remote or press a button for the lift to work. However, be ready to pay more for models that come with motors.
Can the hoisting work on angled ceilings?
Yes, your hoist can work in a ceiling that is angled. Nonetheless, you need to pay attention to the point of attachment and ensure that the cable is a bit longer in parts where the ceiling slopes highest.
This is important to ensure that the weight of the hardtop is evenly distributed.
Is the cable on the hoist long enough?
The length of the cable varies from one hoist to another. Most hoists come with cable lengths that are appropriate for lifting hardtops in garage ceilings that are high.
However, if you find that your ceiling is exceptionally high, it is wise to look for models with longer cables.
What is the process of removing a jeep top?
Here are several steps that you need to follow to successfully remove a jeep top with a hoist:
- Begin by removing the freedom panels if your jeep is a 4-door model
- To free the groups first, unlock the back clips. The clips are usually six and black, and they are used for holding the panel to the frame of the jeep.
- You should then remove the panels and unscrew the 2 screws on the sounder.
- Remove the wire connector by pushing the tab upward. Once you have unplugged the wire connector, remove the washer fluid hose.
- There are three bolts on each side of the hardtop totaling to six. Remove each of the six bolds to release the hardtop.
- Once the hardtop is freed, strap it to the hooks of the hoist and follow the instructions given. Then, lift the hardtop from the jeep, either using the electrical switch or mechanical crank.
- For winches that have a frame to support the top, ensure that the hooks are attached to the frame to get it off together with the head.
- If the frame has wheels beneath it, use them to roll away the hardtop to your storage space.
- If you don’t want to store the hardtop attached to the winch on the ceiling, be sure to build a frame in your garage where you can store it. To do this, you will need four poles so that you can make a track on the top to secure your hardtop.
What is the process of installing a winch at the ceiling?
Some hoists include an electric winch as part of their systems. If your hoist system does not include a winch, it is essential to read the guidelines on how to install it to your ceiling.
All you will need for this installation are eyelets and sockets to provide support. Drill some holes in the timber ceiling rather than cardboard and attach the eyelets and device.
Can I operate the Hoist to lift the Hardtop by Myself?
Yes, some models come with the feature of a single person operating the hoist.
Therefore, if you are looking to remove the hardtop by yourself, these hoists would be a great option. Otherwise, you might need to find a helper to help you remove the jeep top.
Gone are the days when one had to call for help from others to safely remove their jeep hardtop.
Above are some of the best and highly functional jeep hardtop hoists that can serve jeep owners effectively.
Use these reviews when shopping for your hardtop hoist so that you can make an informed buying decision.