Driving is a huge part of your life, so it makes sense to seek out the best battery for Jeep Wranglers. Prevent downtime by making sure your battery stands up the elements.
To help with this, we have scoured the internet for the most ideal options to help your Jeep run smoothly.
Batteries are prone to some fairly unique issues, so to be sure you are getting the right product, it helps to choose from the best items on the market.
This article breaks down everything you need to know about Jeep Wrangler batteries to help you get on the road:
- 1 Top 10 Best Battery For Jeep Wrangler Reviews
- 1.1 01. Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500T – Ideal for Quickly Recharging
- 1.2 02. Optima Batteries 8025 – 160 25 Redtop Battery – Great High-Performance Option
- 1.3 03. Optima Batteries 8014-045 d34/78 YellowTop – Ideal Dual-Purpose Option
- 1.4 04. ACDelco 48AGM Professional BCL Group 48 Battery – Ideal for Demanding Jeep Drivers
- 1.5 05. Optima Batteries 8020 – 164 35 RedTop Starting Battery – Great Back-Up Battery Option
- 1.6 06. NORTHSTAR Pure Lead 94R (L4) NSB-AGM94R – Suited to Intensive Cranking Needs
- 1.7 07. ACDelco 48AGM Professional Group 48 Battery – Wonderful Choice for Intense Drivers
- 1.8 08. Odyssey 34-BC1500T Automotive & LTV Battery – Ideal Option for Longevity Purposes
- 1.9 09. ACDelco 34AGM Automotive BCL Group 34 – Perfect for All Weather Conditions
- 1.10 10. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Deep Cycle Marine Battery – Ideal High-Powered Choice
- 2 Buying Consideration of Best Battery For Jeep Wrangler
- 3 FAQ’s of Best Jeep Wrangler Battery
- 4 Final Thoughts
What is the best battery for a Jeep Wrangler?
The best battery for your Jeep Wrangler all depends on how often and how much you use your Jeep. It is also a matter of the environment in which you live.
Consider weather circumstances and the roads on which you drive. If you are in a cold area, choose something that works in low temperatures.
If you have to go over bumpy roads, look for something that resists vibration well. To get an idea of some of the best choices currently on the market, take a look at the ones listed above.
What type of battery does a Jeep Wrangler use?
Depending on the year of your Wrangler, it will take a different battery. Newer versions of this vehicle tend towards Group 48 batteries or H6 models.
Some batteries are specific to this type of vehicle like the Optima YellowTop. In any case, check the specific product dimensions and battery type against your truck’s user manual.
This avoids any potential compatibility issue and keeps your Jeep running at optimal levels.
Top 10 Best Battery For Jeep Wrangler Reviews
01. Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500T – Ideal for Quickly Recharging
When you search for the perfect battery, one of the top things you want to look for is a lengthy capacity. You want to choose a battery with as long a capacity as possible to promote your success when driving.
The last thing you want is to get on the road and have your battery peter out. That unfortunate sound of a failing power system is cumbersome at best – dangerous at worst.
The good news is that this battery works to prevent these tedious failures. It is easy to install with handy mounting design and offers 135 minutes of reserve power for emergency situations.
Keep your Jeep in proper tact as you take that enjoyable road trip (or just run your daily commute to work).
- 20 Hour capacity with 135 reserve minutes
- Flexible mounting structure for ease
- Resists vibration well during driving
- Cold cranking amperage of 850
- Suited to cold weather
- Long lasting design
- Limited reserves
- Subject to cracking
02. Optima Batteries 8025 – 160 25 Redtop Battery – Great High-Performance Option
In this era of global warming, it is hard to lose track of how extreme weather can get. As the climate shifts, different ecosystems change along with it.
This means that places are once known for moderate (if a bit chilly) winters are newly at risk for freezing cold snap.
It also means that different places that never got too warm before can get really toasty in summer.
Both scenarios add some strain to your battery. The scorching sun can cause your battery to overheat if worked too hard.
On the other hand, weak batteries will not start if it is too cold. Thankfully, this battery system works in extreme weather conditions.
When you opt for this choice, you can reduce the risk of damage due to weather issues. It also prevents trouble resulting in winter, since the battery also starts in really cold conditions.
- Extremely resistant to ambient vibrations
- Strong ability to start in all weather conditions
- C20 Capacity of 44 amps and 90-minute reserves
- Long-lasting performance in all situations
- Limited internal resistance
- Good in cold weather
- Works on most models
- Vulnerable casing
- Low reserves
03. Optima Batteries 8014-045 d34/78 YellowTop – Ideal Dual-Purpose Option
All car batteries have some things in common. One of them is the cationic and anionic structure necessary for the flow of electricity.
These internal components are made of chemicals saturated by water to promote the movement of electrons.
In order to do this properly, the two sides have a partitioning structure separating them.
If that cracks in any way, the battery is no longer usable. So, naturally, you want a battery that resists damage to this component.
This unit is useful since it resists vibration. By operating within a sturdy structure, when you hit a pothole, you don’t have to worry about the partition cracking.
Since, every time you turn on your vehicle, there is a certain amount of vibration, it helps to have a battery-equipped for survival.
With a medium-heavy weight, this piece holds up against even the most intense vibrations. Now, even when there is a ricketing inside of your Jeep, you don’t have to worry about battery damage.
- 12 Volt, with 750 cold-cranking amps
- Dimensions of 10 x 6 ⅞ c 7 13/16 inches
- Weighs in at 43.5 lbs
- C20 capacity of 55-amp hours
- Contains reserve power of 120 minutes
- Lengthy reserves
- Great starting power
- Resists vibration
- Electrically inert case
- Outer case vulnerable to cracking
- Only compatible with some models
04. ACDelco 48AGM Professional BCL Group 48 Battery – Ideal for Demanding Jeep Drivers
With every vehicular product, one of the top concerns is the quality of materials. In terms of batteries, this question is twofold.
You want an exterior structure that holds up against potential impact and resists heat. It is equally (if not more) important to find a battery with high-quality chemical components.
The materials used in the battery dictate everything from the speed of operation to the cranking ability to the resistance.
By opting for something that lessens the amount of resistance while increasing the amperage, you ensure a supercharged capacity.
Since this model works with top-tier, proven components, you know that your battery performs at a high standard of excellence.
The anionic paste reduces overall resistance which ups the power you get from the unit. With a high-quality silver alloy, you limit the risk of corrosion (and the resulting wear and tear).
Calcium, the final component in this battery’s operation works on the cationic end to improve function overall.
- Negative paste included to increase performance and lengthen the life
- Silver alloy and calcium improve overall function
- Provides a low level of power resistance
- The strong internal separator prevents damage
- Stays cool well
- Long battery life
- Resists leakage
- Minimum vibration resistance
- Higher price point
05. Optima Batteries 8020 – 164 35 RedTop Starting Battery – Great Back-Up Battery Option
One of the best parts of this battery choice is that it is compact and sturdy. This, coupled with high functionality, make it a perfect choice for you to keep on hand as a backup.
In fact, many drivers opt to keep one of these in the back of their Jeep so that they can always rest assured that the vehicle will turn on.
Since it is really straightforward to swap out a Wrangler battery, as long as you keep a basic set of tools with you, there will be no concerns as to your on-road safety (and driving ability).
The structure, both internal and exterior, is sturdy, so you can keep it with you at all times. Preventing damage due to vibrations, it works well during intense drives.
Thanks to the ability to start even in cold weather, you get a solid battery option during all seasons (perfect for a reserve setup).
Chances are, if you’ve been driving your Jeep for some time, you have encountered some form of battery problem. By keeping a spare, just like a tire, you can easily avoid this pitfall. This battery option is ideal for these purposes.
- Extremely resistant to ambient vibrations
- Strong ability to start in all weather conditions
- 12 Volt battery with 720-amp cold cranking and 90 minutes worth of reserves
- Long-lasting performance in all situations
- Dimensions: 38 x 7.69 x 6.75 inches
- Less resistance internally
- Works in cold weather
- Suited to most models
- The relatively high price point
- Limited amount of reserve power
06. NORTHSTAR Pure Lead 94R (L4) NSB-AGM94R – Suited to Intensive Cranking Needs
Have you ever struggled to recharge your battery with an accessory pack or when you are getting a boost? This plays directly into the amperage capacity of the battery you choose.
The amps are a direct representation of the amount of electron flow. When amperage maximizes and resistance is at a minimum, your battery operates at optimum levels.
With this feature, you ensure that your Jeep is able to start in cold weather conditions or if the unit depletes.
If amperage is one of your biggest concerns, then this battery is an awesome direction to choose. Featuring a strong exterior structure, the internal components are held in a safe casing.
Able to crank at 1650 amps in ideal conditions, it also works at reduced temperatures with a higher amperage than average.
Considering the fact that this is a high-performance model compatible with most Jeep Wranglers, you get a versatile battery with strong operating power.
- Sturdy exterior resistant to impact damage
- Pulse cranking ability of 1650 amps
- Works at 32 degrees Fahrenheit with 1030 amps and 840 amps at 0 degrees
- Compact model suited to newer vehicles
- Sturdy build
- High performance
- Strong reserves
- Older technology
- Limited standard function
07. ACDelco 48AGM Professional Group 48 Battery – Wonderful Choice for Intense Drivers
In terms of resistance, it is both a hamper on function and an essential component. On the one hand, if your battery doesn’t have a resistance feature, the unbridled power poses a risk to your engine’s electrical components.
Conversely, when you consider the downside of resistance, it basically blocks the full power of the chemical conversion to electrical energy.
This means that, in order to find a great battery for your Jeep Wrangler, you need to choose a balanced level of resistance.
The battery here is a great example of towing the line between excessive electrical energy and too little of it altogether.
It has limited internal resistance so the electricity can flow easily to your vehicle’s electrical components. Given that its casing is strong both inside and out, the unit is safe to keep in your vehicle even for intense excursions.
Overall, you benefit from the virtues of reduced resistance and high battery performance with this option.
- Anionic paste used to improve performance and enhance lifespan
- Calcium and alloyed silverwork to better the function of the battery
- Internal resistance is minimal for the high-performance ability
- The internal separator works to improve security and prevent cracking
- Prevents overheating
- Lengthy battery life
- Prevents internal leakage
- Limited resistance to vibration
- Higher on the cost spectrum
08. Odyssey 34-BC1500T Automotive & LTV Battery – Ideal Option for Longevity Purposes
If you have ever suffered from the inconvenience of a dead battery, you know all too well the importance of recharging abilities.
There are a couple of different approaches to getting your battery back on track in these situations. The first is a boost from a different vehicle with a good charge.
The second is to use a recharging pack. In either case, the components of your battery get a spark from the outside source and effectively come back to life – provided the battery in your Jeep can handle it.
This battery option is ideal for these purposes. Not only is it incredibly simple to install in your vehicle, but it is also easy to recharge.
The chemicals constituting the battery spring back into action quickly and effectively with a small supporting charge.
Given that it does not drain power on its own very easily, it is a highly durable option great for long treks on the road.
- Incredibly efficient recharging capabilities
- Safe and easy to install in your Jeep
- Resists vibrations well when in motion
- Dimensions: 85 x 6.76 x 7.8 inches
- The flexible mounting structure for ease
- Resists vibration well during driving
- Cold-cranking amperage of 1500
- Works in cold weather
- Long-lasting function
- Powerful battery
- Limited power in reserves
- Outside vulnerable to cracking
09. ACDelco 34AGM Automotive BCL Group 34 – Perfect for All Weather Conditions
One of the most cumbersome risks of all Jeep Wrangler batteries is overheating with too much use. If you live in a warm environment, you are drastically more likely to incur this struggle.
When your vehicle hits the road for too long, it is easy to overheat the internal components. In spite of the effort placed by your Jeep’s cooling system, the Jeep can still get too warm to operate.
Any chance to keep the components intact is a helping hand to get your Jeep on the road safely during these situations.
Provided your Jeep Wrangler is prone to overheat, this is a wonderful battery to select. It stays cool due to the internal structure’s design.
With a sturdy exterior and inside partitioning structure meant to keep the heat at bay, it limits temperature uptake while you drive.
It all comes down to the material used in the structure. The inert and insulating properties of the unit prevent heat from developing and help your Jeep run smoothly.
- Anionically charged paste works to add longevity and functionality
- Chemical components enhance the battery performance
- Internal function helps the battery remain cool
- The structure on exterior vents well to reduce acid leaks
- Works in hot environments
- Lasts up to 115 minutes
- Structure prevents damage
- Vulnerable to vibration
- More costly option
10. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Deep Cycle Marine Battery – Ideal High-Powered Choice
When it comes to choosing the best battery for your vehicle, one of the chief things you need to consider is the unit’s compatibility.
Since different Jeep Wranglers have different specifications, it is incredibly important to find a battery that fits properly.
This plays into the electrical components as well as the tray in which you place the battery. If it is either too large or too small, the connections risk fault and the battery may not even place into the tray properly.
To prevent these potential pitfalls, always check on the specifications of the battery and compare them to your vehicle’s demands.
An easy way is to check the dimensions of the unit and make sure that they fit into your Jeep. Another approach is to plug the specific make and model details into the merchant’s system to make sure the auto and battery are compatible.
The battery here is ideal since it functions well and fits into most Jeep Wranglers, offering you a safe and suitable option in just about every situation.
- strong resistance to vibrations from the vehicle
- Works well in all different weather situations
- 12 Volt battery featuring 725-amp cold-cranking ability
- Overall marine cranking ability of 870 amps
- Battery with a long operational shelf-life
- Dimensions:10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches and weighs 43.5 lbs
- Limited resistance internally
- Functions well in heat and cold
- Works on most Wrangler models
- Vulnerable exterior
- Small reserve functions
Buying Consideration of Best Battery For Jeep Wrangler
Perhaps the most essential component to keep in mind when you buy a battery for your Jeep Wrangler is compatibility.
You want certainty that the piece will fit into the vehicle. It is unsafe for both you and the Jeep to use a poorly fitting option, so be sure to take the time and double-check.
Consult the specs on the battery you seek and look at your user manual. Often, online merchants have a place where you can input your year and model.
This gives you the opportunity to ensure that the specific battery you are investigating will fit perfectly into your unit. By following the guidance provided by the system, this extra step can provide you with buying reassurance.
Look out for options that have a sturdy internal structure. As you probably know, when the chemicals of the anion and cation mingle, the battery is irreparably damaged.
Choosing an option with a sturdy partitioning structure mitigates this risk. With the proper materials which are both inert and insulated, the unit avoids overheating and structural damage.
It keeps your battery operational for longer. As a result, it is helpful to consider the partitioning design and to be on the lookout for options that resist resistance.
If the outside of your battery cracks, it is pretty much non-functional. Not only does it become a utility issue, but it is also an actual safety concern.
Battery acid is a strong chemical that is very dangerous if it contacts the skin. The casing on the outside of the unit both protects the utility components and you from damage.
Additionally, was this chemical to leak while in the vehicle, the Jeep would suffer irreparable damage. Select an option with a hardy exterior design.
When these couples with vibration prevention measures, you can find reassurance that the battery will stay intact longer. Choose something with a more compact and simpler design to see the best possible buying results.
Consider how long the battery needs to last. Do you park your car for extended periods of time? Especially if you answered yes, you want something with longer battery life.
Since when you run the car, you recharge the unit, any downtime needs to come into account. Look into both the overall battery performance and the reserve features.
The longer the piece operates, the better your purchase experience will be. It is also a matter of boosting function.
Consider whether the battery is easily boosted in an extenuating situation. Take a look at the resistance features and whether the product is friendly to recharge.
This factors into the overall function of the unit and the value of your purchase overall.
The efficiency and function of your future battery are largely determined by cranking ability – the number of amps you can run through the system.
Like the duration, a higher number is better. The amperage represents the flow of power – optimize this field and you optimize the overall usability of the battery.
Naturally, these couples with limiting the resistance structure (safely, of course). By ensuring that the maximum usable quantity of electrical energy flows, you are considering the root function of your battery.
Clearly apparent in numerical values, this consideration ensures you get the most utility out of the piece.
Finally, you want to take a look at how easy the unit will be to install. It may seem small, but opting for something with a carrying handle really helps.
Choose a unit with obviously marked electrodes that are light enough for you to make light work of the setup. Since, in most cases, you can install the piece yourself, it definitely helps to consider this aspect of the battery.
Provided you factor in the above topics and opt for a reputable merchant, you will have a positive buying experience.
Do’s and Don’ts
As with any piece of equipment, there are some essential processes to follow; some things you should always do and some things you should never do. Stick to logic and adhere to these hints to ensure your battery lasts as long as possible:
- Run your vehicle for a sufficient amount of time every time you engage the battery
- Limit the amount of cold cranking you do (no matter what battery you have)
- Perform routine maintenance to keep electrolytes replenished and limit corrosion
- Opt for a high-quality battery choice to ensure longevity
- Keep a spare on hand in case of emergent performance issues
- Store your vehicle in a safe and dry place to avoid damage
- Avoid starting your Jeep when the weather is too cold
- Overheat your vehicle by running it excessively
- Drop the battery (under any circumstances)
- Neglect to care for the battery unit
- Start the battery when it is too cold (if possible)
- Turn on the battery without driving the vehicle
As long as you stick to the above advice whenever possible, you encourage your battery’s (and your Jeep’s) overall welfare for the short and long term.
There are some simple steps you can take to ensure the shelf life and high performance of your vehicle. By following these, you do everything you can to keep your battery intact. Simply:
- Keep the cables clean from corrosion using a purchased solution. You can also make your own by mixing one part baking soda with five parts of warm water. Make sure your vehicle is off and the cables are disconnected. Allow them to dry before reattaching.
- Look in on your electrolyte levels by removing the cell covers. Make sure that the mix is at least a half-inch in-depth or right at the bottom of the hole. If you need to add fluid, use only filtered water.
- Check for cracks or breaks (internal or external). The presence of one will require you to replace the battery itself but will prevent damage to the vehicle.
- Use your vehicle regularly and run the Jeep for a sufficient amount of time whenever you do so. This allows the battery to recharge fully and prevents the risk of internal buildup.
- Keep your car in warm and dry conditions if possible. Choosing somewhere secure and heated to park your vehicle helps to preserve your battery life.
- Avoid overheating the system since this causes damage to the battery system on a chemical level. It also increases the chances of getting a crack in either the casing or internal partition.
When you perform routine maintenance on your Jeep Wrangler battery, you take all possible measures to keep it working for the long term.
FAQ’s of Best Jeep Wrangler Battery
How long will a Jeep Wrangler battery work for?
As with everything else in the world, batteries have their season. Provided you use proper maintenance habits for your battery, you can usually extend the lifespan to upwards of 4 years.
This assumes a lack of extenuating circumstances like extreme weather or impact damage. If you expect to see issues, get a spare battery, and keep it in your garage.
It is also wise to plan ahead if you last replaced your battery over 4 years ago. Stay ahead of the curve when it comes to this necessary Jeep component
How expensive is a Jeep Wrangler battery?
Prices for these models are variable based on the qualities of the battery itself and the manufacturer. You can reduce the overall cost of this system by opting to install it on your own (it is a simple procedure).
Generally speaking, the amount is on the low end of the three figures. A battery will always be over $100 and never more than $1000.
Provided your model falls within this price range (in the hundreds), you can rest easy knowing you are dealing with a solid distributor.
Steps How To Install Battery
Just like with changing a tire, replacing your battery is a really straightforward process you can do in pretty much any home garage. Follow this simple process to efficiently get your Jeep back on the road.
- Turn off your engine and detach the black battery cable. Make sure you are wearing gloves and use a wrench to loosen the nut from the bolt.
- Pull-on the cable’s end to remove it without jerking to prevent damage.
- Next, remove the red cable using the same process as above.
- Take the battery out of its tray by pulling upwards while gripping the base. Use the handle if one comes attached to the unit.
- Apply cleaning fluid or a sodium bicarbonate solution to wipe away all corrosive pieces. Wipe away any old corroded pieces with a suitable brush.
- Now, place the new battery into the tray and secure it with the clamping component.
- Apply your anti-corrosive solution to the external components where you attach the cables.
- Attach the cables starting with the cation (red) and ending with the anion (black).
- Double-check that all connections are secure and wiggle the battery to make sure it is firmly in place.
- Close the hood and fire up your vehicle, taking it for a short ride to ensure a proper charge.
Now that you know all the ins and outs of finding a quality battery for your vehicle, you can choose the best battery for Jeep Wrangler needs.
Provided you make sure the unit is compatible and take good care, you will have a long-lasting component for your auto.
This battery is essential to the function of your Jeep so by keeping a spare on hand, you make sure your truck can stay on the road.